Digital Services Graduate
Share this article
Birmingham or Manchester
8 November 2021
About the programme
Our 3-year programme will provide you with exposure to different areas of our IT/Digital Services directorate through a series of placements. You will gain a breadth of experience whilst undertaking a role that makes a real difference to our organisation. Some areas you will be exposed to are;
- Business Partnering – The Business Partner team align to each business area to provide support and challenge to the senior team across National Highways and ensure all requests for Digital Services are aligned to the roadmap.
- Programme Delivery – the Programme delivery team are a team of project managers supporting the business to deliver IT programmes and projects.
- Digital and Data – The digital and data team drive the implementation of the data vision and strategy across National Highways ensuring data is governed and managed effectively and identifying opportunities for digital transformation.
- Cyber Security – The Cyber security team ensure National Highways data systems are secure and identifies and reports on cyber risks
- Strategy and Transformation – The strategy and transformation team support the ongoing transformation of the IT/Digital Services directorate and support all teams in reporting, governance and financial and resource planning
- Architecture and Design Technology Solutions – this team helps the business to understand its digital landscape and identifies new solutions that align with the roadmap.
We’ll support your development throughout the programme, with support from senior colleagues, you will enjoy the chance to plan and manage your own training.
This role is starting in September 2022.
Our graduate programme offers:
- Salary of £ 25,000 per annum
- 3 years of training
- On-the-job training with a chance to experience many different aspects of IT/Digital Services through placement rotation
- Flexible working arrangements
- Mentoring programme with senior project managers to provide support and guidance, along with helping trainees plan for their future development
We are looking for ambitious graduates who can thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment. Good communication skills, both written and oral are also a must, as are the personal skills necessary to work as a member of a team and to maintain good relations with stakeholders. You pride yourself on your integrity, and on the quality of your work. This role will provide lots of opportunity for both personal and professional development in a large evolving organisation.
Together with some experience of IT/Digital Services gained during your education, we ask that you hold the following:
- 2:2 degree or above in an IT, Business or Engineering (sciences included)
- A minimum of a Grade C / Grade 4 in Mathematics AND English Language at GCSE
National Highways operates, maintains and improves England’s strategic road network made up of motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK’s businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 20,000 bridges, underpasses, retaining walls and other kinds of structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £27.4 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety.
Why you should join us
At National Highways we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.