Project Management Graduate
Share this article
Closing date: 16th November 2020
About the programme
Our graduate project managers will mix study with real life work. You will complete –6-9 challenging and inspirational placements over three years. The projects and responsibilities you take on will build your experience and knowledge to become a full professional member of the APM and on the path to become a Chartered Project Professional early in your career.
You will have the opportunity to experience the full lifecycle of project delivery, planning and programme management guided by leading industry professionals who will coach, manage and mentor you. This is supported by a programme of formal study within the project profession disciplines, tailored to your developing career path throughout your graduate programme.
This will open up opportunities to continue your career with Highways England to become a leader at the core of government project delivery which prioritises safety and our customers to deliver the best solutions to connect the country.
We are looking for ambitious graduate project managers who are ready to invest in their development, to take their career to the next level. In return, we’ll support your journey to become an accredited project manager, offer you a comprehensive benefits package and enough opportunities to steer your career in the right direction.
Our project management programme offers:
- Profession-specific schemes and additional learning leading on the path to Membership of APM
- A combination of workshops, formal training and ‘hands-on’ experience to develop your technical, commercial and consulting skills
- On-the-job training with a chance to experience many different aspects of project management through placement rotation
- Mentoring from senior project managers to provide support, guidance and career development planning while on the programme and beyond
- A dedicated line manager to provide you with encouragement, direction and career planning support to steer you into a permanent role with us at the end of your programme
We’re looking for graduates from any discipline who want to grow their career in project management where they will get to work across a variety of projects that make a real difference to the country.
You will have:
- At least a 2:2 degree in any subject
- A minimum of a Grade C / Grade 4 in Mathematics AND English Language at GCSE or be willing to take it alongside the level 4 Apprentice Programme provided as part of the scheme
- Good team player with an enthusiasm and passion to succeed
- Confident, influential communicator and good listener
- Exceptional coordinator
- Proactive personality who meets deadlines and prioritises where necessary
- Clear and concise writer, able to effectively distil complex and detailed topics
Highways England operates, maintains and improves England’s strategic road network made up of motorways and major A roads. These vital arteries account for a third of all traffic, carry two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and are relied on by 98% of the UK’s businesses.
Increasing levels of investment are leading to all manner of innovations, like smart motorways that help traffic flow smoothly. But with 4,300 miles of motorway, 20,000 bridges, underpasses, retaining walls and other kinds of structures, our work continually increases in scale and complexity. Not least as we bring £27.4 billion-worth of projects to life, boosting capacity, tackling congestion, and improving safety.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers. So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion in what you do, work effectively in a team and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.