Control Room Operator, Wakefield - WF2 7UA
05 Oct 2021
Share this article
1 November 2021
Your new role
Highways England are recruiting for Control Room Operators based in Wakefield. We have a number of permanent positions available.
In this role you will provide the best possible experience for our customers involved in or impacted by incidents on the road network. From our control room you will direct and coordinate the deployment of resources to maximise traffic flow and minimise the impact of planned and unplanned events on our customers, in an efficient and professional manner.
You will be required to work under pressure and respond quickly to incidents and coordinate communications between colleagues, stakeholders and contractors working on our behalf. Providing accurate and timely information and taking appropriate action to deal with any incident that impacts the flow of traffic.
Our Regional Operations Centre operates 24/7, 365 days of the year, so our operators work shifts consisting of earlies, lates and night shifts. The starting salary for the position is up to £26,824.80 including 20% shift allowance (rising to £28,218 after 9 months probation).
This role is deemed safety critical and so you must live within one hour’s commutable distance of Kestrel House, Calder Business Park, Wakefield WF2 7UA.
What you’ll be leading on
- embed safety as the first imperative across all areas of your work
- proactively and continuously monitor the regional network performance by obtaining, collating and reviewing information from multiple sources to enable informed decision making by yourself and others
- ensure accurate and timely logging and recording of all required information using available IT systems and according to operational processes and guidance
- provide information, data and appropriate advice and guidance to relevant parties in a timely manner depending on their needs and using available systems
- apply process, procedure and operational protocols and develop effective response plans to ensure the safe and effective operation of the network
- use systems to deploy and instruct a variety of both Highways England and supply chain/contractor resources, and follow up to ensure the required activity has been undertaken to
- contribute to the improvement of performance targets
To be successful
- experience of incident and crisis management in a safety critical, customer focused operational environment
- experience of capturing, recording and relaying complex information
- a good understanding of Health & Safety in the workplace
- experience of or the ability to use a range systems and technology, such as road signs and signals, radios and CCTV
- working effectively with others as part of a team to influence Strategic Road Network performance
- experience of or the ability to work under pressure and make effective time critical decisions, balancing safety, customer needs and operational challenges
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.