Senior Environment Specialist
Share this article
Your New role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Environmental Specialist to join our team in Bedford. Within this role you will be project managing a portfolio of Environmental Designated Funds proposals and assessing environmental risks and impacts associated with projects in line with the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, and proposing suitable mitigation.
You will be required to drive as part of your role and you will need to have a full clean driving license to be considered for this position and during employment
What you’ll be leading on
• Lead and coordinate the activities and resources involved in the identification and evaluation of environmental needs in order to develop solutions.
• Technical advice and input into the development of early solutions for improvements and/or renewals, taking into account new techniques, materials, feasibility, and costs
• Identify and commission environmental studies and survey works
• Collaborate with engineering colleagues and Route Managers to ensure forward programme plans reflect asset needs and priorities, environmental legislation, business priorities and strategies
• Manage internal programme of environmental scoping tasks
• Contribute to the development of process and procedures directly related to environmental asset
• Ensure that asset inventory and condition information is captured and maintained in the relevant database(s)
• Oversee and advise on the development of technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work.
To be Successful
• Degree or qualification in relevant discipline
• Membership of, or intention to obtain, membership of a relevant professional body
• Strong understanding of environmental assessment techniques and associated standards
• Excellent Stakeholder management skills
• Experience of environmental surveys
• Demonstrate importance of data and information to inform potential improvement
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.