Share this article
Your new role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Transport Planner to join our team in Bedford. You will play an active and responsive role in the planning system by taking a proactive approach, helping to ensure that new developments are well located and planned for, and the travel demands they create are also managed and sustainable for the strategic road network. You will work with local partners to understand and address the transport impact of spatial planning aspirations and with developers to identify what works are necessary on the network to mitigate the transport impact created.
This role could be based at one of our Bedford, Cambridge or Ipswich locations.
What you’ll be leading on
• Cooperating with Local Planning Authorities and relevant stakeholders in the development of local plans and strategic growth plans.
• Discharge our statutory responsibilities within the planning process, including the commissioning of specialist consultant support where necessary.
• Apply specialist knowledge to evaluate the potential impact and implications of the more complex planning applications on the Strategic Road Network to enable a measured, robust and informed response to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the SRN is maintained.
• Manage ongoing liaison with key external stakeholders, through attendance at local planning meetings and other planning or discussion forums, providing evidence-based and transparent guidance and advice on future local plans, as well as sharing information of Highways England’s emerging strategies and future development works for the region.
• Attend and represent the Region at public examinations, appeals and public inquiries. Work closely with internal and external partners to identify and secure funding opportunities for improvements to the network in support of economic growth e.g. through developer contributions or the Growth and Housing fund.
To be successful
• Demonstrable experience and understanding of spatial planning and associated legislation including development management
• Proven practical understanding of the complex requirements of infrastructure development programmes and the prioritisation of needs in order to develop, manage and maintain a safe and efficient world-class asset
• Qualified Town Planner or Transport Planner, or equivalent professional experience (Chartership is desirable)
• Experience of working with local planning and highway authorities, local enterprise partnerships within a political landscape supported by evidence of working successfully with a wide range of officials within such external stakeholder organisations
• Excellent stakeholder management, both internally and externally
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile, please email email@example.com quoting reference HIG03621
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.