Senior Planning Manager
- Work locations The Cube (Birmingham), Bridge House (Guildford), Lateral (Leeds), Piccadilly Gate (Manchester)
- Job Planning
- Employee Status Regular
- Salary £48,155 - £55,379
- Closing date 22/09/2020 23:59
Share this article
Your new role
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Planning Manager to lead Highways England’s planning and collaboration work with one or more significant external projects (for example High Speed 2, Airport Expansion and other nationally significant rail or other infrastructure schemes).
This is a challenging yet rewarding role that will see you successfully manage high level stakeholder relationships, lead on problem solving complex issues and be the ‘go-to’ person for some of the largest infrastructure projects in England.
You will promote Highway England’s position through visible and effective partnerships with Third Party projects and DfT (our key stakeholders). You will need a great communication and leadership style to bring people together and have a strategic mindset to plan and deliver high performance across a broad and diverse team.
The role will require a degree of flexibility as there will be regular travel between Highways England, developer and stakeholder offices.
What you’ll be leading on
- Establishing and running suitable governance to oversee and take decisions on the Company’s position on projects, escalating risks and issues through existing company governance and (if required) to the Executive committee and Chief Executive
- Planning and managing a programme of work to evaluate Third Party proposals and provide advice, guidance and any instruction required
- Drive effective network impact assessment to inform decisive action and safeguard operational efficiency of the network during and after construction of the Third Party projects
- Manage and develop resources across organisational functions, ensuring knowledge and competence is maintained to deliver business objectives
- Developing and managing relationships with scheme Promoters, DfT, transport and planning authorities and stakeholders
- Delivering work to support the wider development of policies and guidance to support engagement with 3rd Party projects.
To be successful
- Experience within an infrastructure project environment, not only delivering outcomes but evidencing the ability to have a strategic approach and understanding
- Experience of successfully leading, influencing and demonstrating effective communications skills
- Evidence of partnership working with a collaborative approach
- Knowledge of hybrid Bill and/or Development Consent Order processes
- A civil engineering, transportation or planning background
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all the other directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, sponsoring the road investment strategy, providing high quality analysis to the rest of the organisation and leading on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews for this role are planned to take place early/mid October 2020
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.