Senior Procurement Manager
Share this article
Your new role
As a Senior Procurement Manager you will be responsible for delivering the end to end procurement process for one of the UKs largest complex infrastructure projects - the Lower Thames Crossing!
The role will see you managing the procurement of a defined work package (Roads or Tunnels) ranging in value between £0.4M - £2bn. You will manage the end to end life-cycle of complex procurements, ensuring projects deliver the right outcome for the business.
The successful candidate will work closely with both the Project Delivery Team and the Commercial Delivery Team across a matrix management structure. You will also work with the Senior Leaders on the project to develop both project and company-wide continuous improvement in procurement practice.
The role would suit an experienced Procurement Manager with demonstrable experience of developing procurement strategies, who is familiar with competitive negotiation and an excellent communicator. In this role you also will be working closely with senior internal and external stakeholders and therefore excellent stakeholder management skills are essential. Line management responsibilities may be anticipated in the future so the ability to provide practical advice and strategic direction to peers is advantageous.
This is a site based role initially offered from our Aldgate office and will move to site with the project by late 2021, the site location is to be confirmed but is likely to be North Kent / South Essex.
This is an excellent opportunity to join the Procurement division in Highways England offering national exposure and professional development to the successful candidate.
• Ensuring that all aspects of the procurement cycle, including stakeholder engagement, market analysis, supplier selection, strategy, procurement documents, evaluation and contract award are planned and managed in consultation with the Head of Procurement to meet the programme delivery timelines
• Working closely with senior stakeholders in order to address and analyse the needs of the business and come up with an effective solutions and plans to enable projects and programmes to have a consistent approach
• Procurement document production including review and governance
• Manage end to end procurement process including evaluation and award
• Work with contract specialists in order to provide technical expert advice around procurement and help to resolve any issues to ensure Highways England is compliant and effective in this area
• Building collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders to support delivery of the Highways England imperatives, Safety, Customer Service and implementation of the Supply Chain Strategy.
To be successful
• You will have a proven track record of delivering end to end complex, high value procurements, including experience with competitive dialogue and negotiation strategies
• You will have an excellent understanding of the procurement lifecycle both pre and post contract and ability to deliver procurement strategies that meet the needs of the business
• You will have a strong understanding of governance and legislation surrounding procurement, knowledge of public procurement regulations is advantageous
• You will have proven expertise in developing and writing procurement documents
• You will have excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
• You will be CIPS qualified, or working towards, or hold a relevant equivalent higher level qualification.
A bit about us
The Lower Thames Crossing is the most ambitious project of its kind in the country. It is the largest single road investment project in the UK since the M25 was completed more than 30 years ago. The crossing under the Thames will be the longest road tunnel in the country. At 16 metres in diameter, it will also be one of the largest bored tunnels in the world. In support of delivering this project there’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team. We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen.
You’ll be involved in the design of our modern, progressive contracts and partnerships, negotiating best commercial terms, galvanizing innovation and influencing the development of projects for to enable positive commercial outcomes. Building on every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Want to know more?
To request a copy of the role profile please contact firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference number HIG04070.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.