Government Relations Team Leader
- Work locations The Cube (Birmingham), Manchester (North West), Leeds (Yorkshire & North East), Guildford (South East)
- Job Planning
- Employee Status Regular
- Salary £48,155 - £55,379
- Closing date 13/06/2021 23:59
Share this article
Your new role
As Government Relations Team Leader, you will be instrumental in managing and developing Highways England’s relationship with the Department for Transport (DfT) and wider government. Alongside the Head of Government Relations, you will play a key role in managing Highways England’s interaction with government helping to shape and influence strategic decisions and ensure that as a company we meet our Licence requirements.
You will lead for Highways England on the coordination and management of a portfolio of topics which requires close engagement between HE and Government. This will require you to build and maintain effective relationships with a range of Department for Transport officials as well as close working with colleagues at all levels across Highways England.
You will also support the Head of Government Relations in managing our wider relationship with government. This will include the development of a programme of proactive engagement with government and working closely with colleagues developing the next Road Investment Strategy to ensure that government priorities continue to inform its development.
What you’ll be leading on
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships with the Department for Transport to support the effective management of Highways England’s engagement with the Department.
- Building and maintaining an effective network across Highways England to support the team’s work in managing Highways England’s relationship with the Department for Transport and wider government.
- Ensure that knowledge and insights gained from the work of the Government Relations Team are being actively fed into HE’s RIS3 development work.
- Identification, management and resolution of issues related to or with the potential to impact on Highways England’s relationship with government.
- Working with senior colleagues in Highways England (including Executive Directors) to gather and ensure appropriate sign off for information being provided to DfT. This will necessarily involve appropriately challenging data and the presentation of information, at the highest levels of the organisation.
- Supporting wider engagement with government to ensure that Highways England can shape and influence decision making in relation to the Strategic Road Network. This will include advising senior colleagues from across the business on government priorities to inform the development and future implementation of strategies and plans in their areas.
To be successful
- Knowledge of and experience of working with central Government departments.
- Experience of building and maintaining relationships with a wide range of senior stakeholders (executive and Ministerial) to influence at the highest level in a political / public sector environment.
- Ability to present information clearly and appropriately, adapting your approach to suit the audience and the information being communicated.
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to independently analyse and communicate detailed, complex and nuanced information / data at pace.
- Ability to appropriately prioritise a wide ranging and rapidly changing workload of competing pressures to deliver successfully in a highly visible, transparent and scrutinised environment.
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all the other directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So, if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the road investment strategy, provide high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting HIG04936.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that - helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.