Portfolio Risk Manager
Share this article
Your new role
Here at Highways England, we have an exciting opportunity for a Portfolio Risk Manager to join our Professions team reporting directly into the Head of Profession - Risk within Major Projects Delivery Services.
This is a varied role where you will provide specialist support to deliver an efficient and effective risk management service at the Portfolio/Directorate level within Major Projects (MP). You’ll also drive best practice risk management within MP.
Ideally, you’ll be based from our Birmingham office with travel where necessary.
What you will be leading on
- Support the Head of Profession – Risk in developing, embedding and improving the Major Projects directorate risk management process to drive 'best practice' Project, Programme and Portfolio risk management
- Lead on providing functional risk support, advice and guidance to delivery teams in the application of the risk management processes and the use of the risk management system (Xactium)
- Facilitate risk management workshops where required and establish and maintain the directorate risk register ensuring that all risks have owners assigned, and action plans which are implemented in a timely manner
- Look across the Portfolio/Directorate as a whole and assist the programme teams to recognise opportunities to minimise risk through inter-programme and inter-project co-operation and synergy
- Develop, improve and manage all relevant risk management data, KPI’s and reports at the Portfolio/Directorate level
- Lead the formulation, agree and communicate risk policies and standards, and monitor and oversee their implementation
- Chair and manage the risk super user group within Major Projects
- Undertake qualitative and quantitative risk analysis workshops (cost and schedule), producing key outputs where required
- Set up and maintain the processes and interfaces to enable the operation of the risk management database system (Xactium) used in Major Projects
- Promote a risk culture in the organisation and provide support, education and training to staff at all levels
- Plan and manage own Continuous Professional Development to ensure that your personal technical knowledge & skills, and awareness & understanding of industry best practices, is relevant and up to date
To be successful:
- Significant experience in a Project/Programme Risk Management role within large-scale infrastructure projects
- Experience of implementing risk management processes and developing appropriate risk mitigation strategies at a project, programme and directorate level
- Experience of capturing, analysing, and reporting risk management data at a project, programme level and Directorate level
- Experience of training and / or coaching others to develop and put into practice risk management knowledge and skills at different levels
- Track record of managing relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes.
- Membership of an appropriate professional body e.g. IRM, APM
- Experienced in qualitative and quantitative risk analysis and assurance (both cost and schedule); use of risk analysis software i.e. @Risk. PRA and Safran
- High level of IT literacy, including MS Office Suite, Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Web applications
- Extensive technical knowledge of risk management approaches, techniques, facilitation and modelling capability for projects and programmes
- Proven track record operating industry standard risk tools e.g. Xactium, ARM
- Experience in a complex project environment including cost analysis, estimating, planning and project controls
The Major Projects Delivery Services (MPDS) purpose is to make successful delivery outcomes possible through business level controls, developing professions and capability, maximising innovative thinking and being a critical friend.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.