Head of Carbon and Environmental Sustainability
Share this article
Your new role
Are you keen to make a positive environmental impact across the whole of England and beyond? Wanting to drive change within an industry-leading organisation? If so, Highways England is looking to appoint a new Head of Carbon and Environmental Sustainability which could be just the role for you. As part of the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Team you will play a pivotal role in developing, planning and delivering the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability plan.
What you’ll be leading on
- Lead the planning, development and implementation of a credible Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Strategy showing how Highways England will deliver and achieve net zero emissions by 2050.
- Build and maintain engagement with internal stakeholders at all levels within Highways England to ensure the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Strategy and Plan are progressed with and aligned to our current delivery plans, investment strategy and longer-term trends.
- Engage with key external stakeholders – in particular, the Department for Transport, BEIS and DEFRA and other transport organisations (e.g. Network Rail and HS2 Ltd) – to ensure that the Highways England Net Zero Strategy and Plan align with other Government strategies and relevant net zero emission initiatives.
- Engage technical and professional specialists in Highways England and from external consultancies, to ensure the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Plan is based on a sound evidence base: a robust baseline position and evidenced plans that show how the Net Zero Plan will make a measurable difference to our net emissions.
To be successful
- Developing strategies and plans in a highly visible, transparent and scrutinised environment in Government or in a regulated/monitored organisation.
- Leadership in a changing and complex environment. Showing open, transparent and collaborative approach to external and internal relationship building and management.
- Strong communications skills and evidence of relationship-building and senior level engagement. Experience of presenting complex and technical matters at Executive level. Ability to relay complex and detailed technical information to a broad nontechnical audience.
- Qualification or related experience relevant to:
- Knowledge of carbon management.
- Understanding of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Knowledge of carbon foot printing, environmental sustainability principles, and net zero issues.
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning Directorate plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the government’s road investment strategy, provide high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting HIG05253.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.