Team Leader Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Plan
Share this article
Your new role
Are you keen to make a positive environmental impact across the whole of England and beyond? Wanting to drive change within an industry-leading organisation? If so, Highways England is looking to appoint a new Team Leader responsible for our Net Zero Carbon Plan which could be just the role for you.
As part of the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability Team you will play a pivotal role in developing, planning and delivering the Net Zero Carbon and Environmental Sustainability plan.
What you’ll be leading on
- Coordinating and directing the development of the Plan, ensuring the activities it sets out contribute to the overall goals of the Net Zero Carbon goals and findings/recommendations of the Strategy.
- Responsible for ensuring our Net Zero Carbon Plan forms a consistent and coherent part of our plans for RIS3.
- Responsible for ensuring our Net Zero Carbon Plan is consistent with the Government’s net zero carbon strategy and other green recovery initiatives.
- Provide advice and support discussions with Highways England Board and Executive in developing the plan.
- Build and maintain appropriate engagement at all levels with internal and external stakeholders.
To be successful
- Ability to understand new initiatives and strategies and translate recommendations and supporting information. into follow-up action planning.
- Leadership in a changing environment. Able to demonstrate an open, transparent and collaborative approach.
- Strong communication skills and ability to influence at a senior level.
- Experience of presenting technical and complex information in a clear and understandable way, at both Executive level and to a broad, non-technical audience.
- Knowledge of carbon management is helpful, but not essential. Some understanding of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, knowledge of the basics of carbon footprinting and sustainability principles and net zero issues will be an advantage.
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning Directorate plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, develop our strategic business plan to deliver the government’s road investment strategy, provide high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and lead on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting HIG05254.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.