Share this article
Your new role
Here at Highways England, we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Route Manager to join our South West team in either Exeter or Bristol. In this role you will be responsible for managing the A35 route; resolving complex customer issues on or associated with the route you are responsible for, drawing on expert advice to ensure the route delivers expected levels of service while also seeking to improve them. You will contribute to the effective use of intelligence and insight into customer and asset needs, together with social and economic demands.
The role would suit a candidate who has an interest in Highways/Transportation and has an understanding of Highways England’s strategic aims, particularly the delivery of our imperatives – Safety, Customer Service and Delivery.
Due to the nature of the role, this role will require a full clean driving licence.
What you’ll be leading on
• Identify and assess the assigned route needs (i.e. economic, social, asset etc.) in order to articulate the impact on future asset and service development requirements.
• Develop and maintain effective and collaborative relationships with regional stakeholder and customer groups, such as local MPs, Local Authorities and other regional transport or customer bodies, through regular meetings, communication and sharing of information; act as the main point of contact for external stakeholders in relation to network performance needs for the route(s) in scope.
• Pro-actively engage with experts responsible for the assessment and coordination of the prioritisation of investment and works for the route(s) in scope in line with needs, agreed strategy, policies, budget, and efficiency targets; act as the first line approver for programme change requests. Initiate requests for studies, and oversee the development of solutions, ensuring new investment ideas are supported by robust business cases.
• Assess potential solutions and delivery options based on a variety of criteria, such as benefits to customers, commercial impact and business risks, and make informed decisions about the inclusion and prioritisation of new schemes in future route plans
To be successful
• Excellent stakeholder and communication skills; strong influencing and negotiating skills, with a clear focus on customer satisfaction
• Demonstrable experience in the application of asset management principles
• Experience of developing business cases, including the development of budgets
• Strong commercial and financial acumen
• Ability to lead own work and execute tasks independently, yet work collaboratively within a team and respond to management guidance & support
A bit about us
Making sure our customers have safe and reliable journeys is at the heart of everything we do in Operations. We keep the roads open for business and play a key role in making sure the network we manage is fit for purpose today and for the future.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.