Paralegal - 2 Year FTC
Share this article
Your new role
This is a great opportunity to join our experienced in-house legal team as a a Paralegal on a 2 year fixed term contract. Supremely organised and able to prioritise, you will have sound legal judgement to deliver a high standard of professional service and client care, assisting with a diverse range of legal queries to support the team. You will work independently with some supervision from our qualified lawyers and be responsible for providing legal advice to assist with a diverse range of queries dependant upon your legal background. The range of tasks could include providing advice on general highways and planning law, statutory nuisance, obstruction of the highway, drainage issues, litter picking, signage, development consent and judicial review. If you have experience in Public Law this could be a perfect role for you.
As a highly motivated individual you will use this opportunity to grow your experience and career working with experienced and qualified lawyers to become an integral part of the General Counsel team with the potential to be considered for our 2 year training contract.
What you’ll be leading on
- Providing specialist paralegal support to a busy in-house legal department, delivering a high standard of professional service and client care
- Drafting and advising on agreements under the Highways Act 1980 and New Roads and Street Works Act 1991.
- Assisting lawyers from the planning and operations teams with various matters including planning issues, road traffic regulation orders, health and safety, litigation and inquest matters. Working on instructions to Counsel, Government Legal Departments and external lawyers.
- Providing legal guidance/advice and drafting assistance
- Monitoring the team inbox and allocating requests for legal advice.
- Undertaking any other general legal research as required.
To be successful
- Law degree or Graduate Diploma in Law and / or relevant experience of highways law, contract drafting or planning law.
- Knowledge of public law or experience of working in a public law environment would also be an advantage.
- Excellent client handling skills and experience of working under pressure in a busy office environment
- Evidence of excellent written and verbal communications skills with the ability to communicate across all levels
A bit about us
The General Counsel Directorate encompasses the company's legal team providing legal services and the Company Secretariat function. They provide an effective legal service to the company and ensure that requests for legal advice are sourced though the correct channels. The Company Secretary team work to support the Board, Chief Executive and its committees; ensuring that the company's corporate governance framework and culture meets good practice expectations and complies with the Companies Act and other corporate compliance requirements.
Want to know more?
Please email email@example.com quoting HIG05360.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.