Share this article
Your new role
As a Communications Manager in Highways England, you will be part of a regional team located in the East (Bedford). You will work alongside project teams and the supply chain, delivering communications for maintenance and major improvement projects on our road network, focussing on communications, engagement and consultation activity to support projects and raise our profile and reputation with customers and stakeholders in the region. There will also be occasional travel to other Highways England offices and venues outside the region for national conferences or Directorate meetings.
You will also support the Senior Regional Communications Manager, providing trusted communications and public relations advice to regional directors and other senior leaders.
This is a challenging and fulfilling role that will take your career to the next level.
What you'll be leading on
- Overseeing multi-channel communications campaigns for consultation and engagement with stakeholders and the public, ahead of and during the planning application process for major road improvement proposals
- Communications activity and storytelling, to support Highways England maintenance and construction activity so that customers understand why roadworks are necessary and the benefits.
- Working with our supply chain and also alongside specialist in-house communications colleagues in Press & PR, Insight, Digital, Public Affairs and Creative Design to co-ordinate, develop and deliver integrated campaigns that draw on best practice and innovation in the sector
- Supporting the roll-out of national campaigns at a regional-level, promoting our core themes of environment, innovation, safety and customer.
- Responsibility for helping create pro-active content on our regional webpages and social media platforms
- Fostering successful relationships with communications counterparts in the supply-chain and at other key organisations, to build our network, improve supplier performance and secure stakeholder advocacy.
- Measuring, evaluating and reporting on the success of your communications campaigns, and providing recommendations for their future improvement, as part of a continuous learning culture
- Performance management of communication delivery from the supply chain
To be successful you will have
- Demonstrable experience as a communications professional in a complex environment.
- Experience of leading communications campaigns and storytelling across multiple channels.
- A proven track record of working with a range of senior internal and external stakeholders to manage complex and contentious projects and issues.
- Experience of leading communications to support customer engagement and consultation activity in line with best practice consultation principles.
- Specialist communications knowledge and experience, underpinned by relevant professional qualifications or training
A bit about us
The Corporate Affairs and Communications Directorate is responsible for building and maintaining a robust and positive reputation for Highways England with all its audiences, internal and external. The Directorate includes a full range of communications disciplines which provide support to the business, including media relations, public relations, stakeholder engagement, creative, digital, marketing and internal communications.
Want to know more?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ORG00327.
The role may involve travel on some occasions: 2-3 times each week between offices.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.